Music is an integral part of our life that we need for every mood. Whether we are feeling happy and joyful or feeling tired after a long day of work, it’s music that refreshes us. It is also observed that music is now used as a therapy to curb stress, depression and anxiety. But listening to your favorite music tracks can become annoying if your music library is full of duplicates and therefore resulting in the same song shuffling repeatedly.
Now the problem is that you cannot stop the tracks from being duplicated as they can be accumulated if you have smartphones and other devices synced to your computer, or if you have transferred your friend’s music library to your computer. However, there is always a solution to the problem and in this article we will be discussing a solution on how to remove duplicate music files in Windows 10.
Before we begin our article we would like to address that unfortunately Microsoft hasn’t yet provided any dedicated tool that you can use to remove duplicate music files from Windows 10. And going through your complete music library and identifying each duplicate music file is not a solution. But you need not to worry as in this article we discuss some easy ways to remove duplicate music from your computer.
Remove Duplicate Music Files in Windows 10 using Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player, a default player to play videos and audios on your computer can also be used as a duplicate song finder. However, it’s not a full proof solution to remove duplicate music files but yes still you can give it a try.
Before going ahead we would like to make it clear that Windows Media Player does not contain any duplicate song finder feature that scans and deletes the duplicates automatically. So you have to do it on your own by first sorting the music files by their name on Windows Media Player and then removing them manually by their Titles or other parameters.
To do so follow the steps given below:
- Double click on the Windows Media Player to launch the player.
- Switch on to the Library Mode, by clicking on the Switch to Library icon located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Now you can find all the library contents on the left panel of your screen. From the library content select the Music option.
- If you are able to find your music files then head on to the next step, if not then then from the menu, click on the Organize > select Manage libraries > Music.
- This will add the default music folder automatically. Continue, clicking on other folders that contain music files by clicking on the Add button.
- Once done click on the OK button to confirm. It will take some time for Windows Media Player to update your music library and add the new music files.
- Now, once you have all the music files in the Music library, click on the Title column at the top to sort the music files in an orderly manner.
- Once you have sorted, it is easier for you to differentiate the duplicates from the originals, as the files that are duplicates may contain an additional name like Copy(1) to the original music file name. To make sure that it is a duplicate or not, preview your files by right clicking on it and selecting Play.
- Once you are sure that it is a duplicate, right-click on the file you wish to delete and select the option Open file location. Now delete the file manually from its location.
Although the above method is easy and straightforward, there are some cons of using Windows Media Player as duplicate music files finder. These are as follows:
- Windows Media Player does not support all the available music file formats, so you may need to install codecs to play the files that are not supported by Windows Media Player.
- Second one and also the most important one is that it is not necessary that the music files with identical names are always identical. There is always a possibility that two or more songs having the same title have different music. This means that you can end up in deleting a non duplicate music file.
- The process is quite lengthy and requires a lot of time, energy and patience especially if you have a huge database of music files.
Use a Dedicated Duplicate Music Finder Tool to remove Duplicates Music Files in Windows 10
Windows Media Player is one of the best tools to play your favorite audio and video songs however when it comes to removing duplicate music files then you cannot completely rely on it. So in such a case the best option is to use a dedicated duplicate song finder tool that can instantly remove all the duplicate music files from your computer with ease and accuracy.
If you search around the internet then you will find a lot of duplicate music files finder tools that promise to free your system from duplicate music files but only few of them live up to that promise. We have ourselves tested many of these duplicate music files finder tools and found that Duplicate Music Fixer is one of the best tools to clean the duplicate music files from your system efficiently.
So here’s how to use Duplicate Music Fixer to remove duplicate music files from your system.
- Download Duplicate Music Fixer from the official website on your system.
- Once downloaded, install it on your computer by following the onscreen instructions. Moreover, the installation process is similar to installing any other program on your computer.
- Once the installation completes, you will find its icon on the desktop of your computer. Double click on the program icon to launch the product.
- After launching the product select the location to scan. So add the location that consists of your music files. You can add the folders or even an entire drive to the scan. Once you add the path/folders to scan they will show up under Scan Areas. Please make sure that there is a checkmark beside all the folders added to the scan list.
- Now click on the Scan For Duplicates button to start the scanning process.
Note: You can also exclude the files/folders from scanning by adding them to the Exclusion list, before the scan process begins.
- Now let the program scan the selected folders for duplicate music files. You can even minimize the window when the scan is in progress and continue with some other work.
- Once the scan completes, it will show you all the duplicate music files that reside in the location added to the scan.
- Now you can use the in-built Selection Assistant to reset the selection priorities by auto-marking various options.
- Click on the Mark button to automatically mark the duplicates in each group leaving the original file as unchecked.
- Now finally when the duplicates are marked, click on the Delete Selected Items button to delete all the duplicate music files from your machine.
- That’s all within a few seconds all the duplicate files will be removed from your system giving you a duplicate free organized music library.
You can also decide or set a predefined path to move the deleted files to your desired location.
Salient features of Duplicate Music Fixer that makes it a number one duplicate music files finder tool:
- Scans your system for all popular music file formats to scan and remove duplicate audio files.
- Advanced scan engine to find and remove duplicate music from nook and every corner of PC.
- Auto-mark feature to filter out the best file out of the duplicate music files automatically without manually marking each file.
- Integrated Play Button to play detected duplicate music files and decide before deleting the file.
- Easy user interface that makes Duplicate Music Fixer an easy to use tool for removing duplicate music files even for a novice user.
- Easily keep the music library organized and free from duplicates for an arranged library.
- Apart from removing duplicate music files, it creates an album wise playlist to enjoy missing songs.
- History feature to know which duplicate music files you have deleted.
- Free gigabytes of space that is occupied by duplicate music files.
- Compatible with Windows OS 10/8.1/8/7/Vista and XP (both 32 bit and 64 bit).
So folks this is all from our side. We hope that now you can enjoy the soothing music that is free from duplicates and refresh your soul. Frustrated by the accumulation of duplicates music? Then don’t worry and just go through this detailed guide on how to remove duplicate music files in Windows 10